Prelim Task

AS opening sequence

Thursday 31 December 2009

Evaluation-Question 7

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Preliminary Brief: Film and edit a character opening a door, crossing a room and sitting down in a chair opposite another character. A couple of lines of dialogue must then exchange between characters & match on action, shot/reverse shot and the 180-degree rule should be demonstrated.

Main Task: The titles and opening of a new fiction film, to last a maximum of two minutes (all video and audio material must be original, produced by candidates, with the exception of music or audio effects from a copyright-free source)

Pre Production
After reading the brief I learnt that the storyboard, location recce and mood boards were important so that I will know what to do and it will be easier. I didn’t find any problems while deciding on the prelim task mainly because it was easy and already given. When it came to the main task that’s when I started to find problems because our group didn’t exactly know what type of film to create while in our prelim task it was given to us and we had already planned our cast but had to change it because we had to pick cast from the other media class.

The key lessons I learnt was that the storyboard & location recce are really important because it gets you prepared for the shooting. From the preliminary task to the main task I have learnt the basics of what to do before filming which are planning the storyboard, location reece and mood boards.

Production
During our prelim task we decided to shoot in school because it was much easier. The prelim task took much quicker than the main task due to it was in school and the shooting was simple, whereas the main task was outside school and more of a serious task meaning high quality of shots and serious behaviour towards work. The biggest difference between the two tasks was that we didn’t face as much problems as we did in the main task. The only problem we faced was coming after school to finish it of which took our own time.

The key lesson I learnt was to be quicker as we took our time to do the filming which made us slower than the others and late to get home. We decided to shoot in Upney in our main task because we needed to use a rough area that was supposingly ghetto looking and our cast were chosen from the other media class. Problems that we faced were the variety of shots because we didn’t take much safety shots which effected our digitizing. Although we couldn’t chose the type of cast we wanted we had no problem with them because we trained them plus the weather was another problem that could of occurred but we came prepared and brought a large umbrella just in case it started to rain or snow.

From the preliminary task to the main task I have learnt that location is really important because it tells your story. In location I worked differently in my main task because there were much more things to do, due to the fact we was outside and more risks could occur like weather and safety, whereas in our prelim we was inside meaning safety was provided and weather couldn't affect us. Other things I've learnt are to always remind my group about safety shots and important equipments. I feel that I have progressed since the prelim because I knew what I was getting myself into and improved by working harder.

Post production & feedback
For are prelim task we acted & filmed a classroom scene. I don’t think anything could have been done differently due to it had to be done in school. While doing so we faced numerous problems like no free class rooms and students walking in and out meaning taking our own time after school. We also had an issue in which one of the actors couldn’t make it so one of the cameraperson had to act her role. Another thing in our prelim task was that we didn’t include theme music but dialogue. From all this I learnt what types of shots are best, due to the feedback from our teachers.

Our main task was producing an opening sequence of a independent film in which we had to chosoe the roles of the cameraperson, director and soundperson. My role was the soundperson and I found it very challenging because I had to choose the best soundtrack and fun because it was enjoyable while it lasts.

The things we could have done differently are taking more safety shots. This was because we sent our cast early instead of taking time to take plenty more types of shots. Another problem faced was time due to we had to meet up 6:30 in the morning and some cast members came late. The sound we used was a hip hop beat. From our main task I learnt that it’s best to be prepared and always listen to instructions made by teachers and also how to film a successful crime drama.

From the prelim to the full product I feel that I have learnt a lot more about films than I used to do and I can now easily tell what the genre of a film will be about by watching the opening sequence rather than before. The whole product has aswell got me focused on films now for example when I watched District 9 even though it's a blockbuster I was looking out for certain camera shots, movements and angles aswell as continuity. Getting feedback was also important because it let us know if our film looked our genre, if it would appeal to our target audience and imporving our project.

What I have progressed in from the prelim task is being able to set up the Cannon XH A1, Winshield System and using the Adobe premier correctly which has satisfied me as next time I wouldn't need any help.

No comments:

Post a Comment